Mass Schedule for the week beginning June 29th – this schedule can change based on the availability of a priest and is for this week only.

Mon – Fri 10am

Saturday 8pm

Sunday 10:30am

Welcome to The Church of St Ita – Kilmead

Kilmead (Cill mo Ide or Cill Mide), there is some debate as to the root of the name of the townland. Cill mo Ide, the church of Ide or Cill Mide – the church in the middle). Either way the Church in Kilmead was built in 1798 on land donated by Mrs Margaret Kenna, and aunt of Cardinal Paul Cullen. After the failed rising in 1798 many churches were raised but Lord Fitzgerald, landlords of South Kildare, allowed the people of Kilmead to live and worship and peace.

Ever since the people of Kilmead have looked after ‘their’ church with great love and affection. The church of St Ita in Kilmead is the oldest church in the parish of Narraghmore.

Education played a key role in the life of St Ita and so too in the life of Kilmead. There is a very strong bond between the St Ita’s NS and the church. IN the townland of Skerries the first school ws built in 1864 on a plot of land donated by the Kavanaghs of Athy at a cost of £300, the collection was entirely due to the efforts of Fr Yorke CC, who was curate in Kilmead at the time. One stained glass onnthe right habd side of the altar is dedicated to Fr Yorke. The first school house in Kilmead was a thatched mud-house and was valued at the princely sum of £3. The present school building was  built in 1949 but has since been modernized and extended, in large part due the efforts of the local community.

If you are looking for directions, please click on the ‘Find Us’ link in the menu above.

Church News

  • Churches Open for Private Prayer

    CHURCHES RE-OPENING FOR PRIVATE PRAYER

    St Ita’s, Kilmead, Ss Mary & Laurence, Crookstown & Church of the Most Blessed Trinity, Moone
    will be re-open for private prayer from Monday, 8th June, times will vary so please check locally.

    Following HSE guidelines, a number of restrictions will be in place – a one-way system is in operation enter by one door exit by another door. There is directional signage, please follow them.

    A section of the church will be opened allowing private prayer and access to shrines to light a candle.

    Hand sanitisers are installed at all the doors-please use them.

    Please respect social distancing.

    The churches will be open for public Mass after 29th June